When you think of apple Latkes your immediate reaction or closer association is Hanukkah food but this Latkes made delicious healthy breakfast. I have apple Latkes for breakfast at least a couple of days a week and you’ll too after you learn about the latest research out of Cornell University about the countless benefits of apples, including, protecting brain cells from free-radical damage that may cause Alzheimer’s disease, liver and breast cancer prevention, lowering “LDL” or bad cholesterol by as much as 16%.
Here’s what you need to make this healthy delicious breakfast
- 3 large tart firm green apples such as Granny Smiths
- 1/2 lemon Juiced and zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 cup of your favorite flour (I used a mixture of rice and oat flour)
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg beaten
- sour cream, creme fraiche or honey for serving
- Clean, core and grade apples using a large holes of a box grader. Using a large strainer squeeze out as much juice as you can by pressing the apples down into the strainer with the back of a spoon or you can use a cheese cloth. Wonder that to do with the apple juice? squeeze the other half of the lemon, drop in a few ice cubes and you have fresh apple juice to accompany the latkes.
- Transfer grated apple to a medium bowl and toss with lemon juice, zest and ginger. In a small bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and toss with the apple, until evenly coated. Lightly beaten egg and stir into apple-flour mixture.
- Heat a large non-stick pan or the flat part of a cast iron grille, coated it with your favorite spray oil and drop ice cream scoop full of the apple batter into separate piles, gently pressing them until a bit flatter using the back of spoon to do so. Browned them for about 3 or 5 minutes, then flip them and continue to cook for extra 3 more minutes or until nicely browned but not burned. Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche, sour cream or drizzle honey.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much I do.